Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Does it matter how much activated carbon the purifier has?

I'd liketo use the air purifier to remove odours/VOCs/etc.. and the Honeywell/Kaz purifiers come with an activated carbon sheet (model 38002). Would this be adequate or useful?

Or would it make a significant difference to buy a higher-end purifier that have lbs of activated carbon like from AllerAir or Austin? I know that wth the Honeywell the user must replace the activated carbon filter every 3mo, as opposed to longer lasting lifespans for those of the higher end purifiers, but aside from shelf life, is there a substantial difference in the "adsorbability" of the cheaper (ie Honeywell/Kaz) activated carbon and those of the more expensive brands?
Answer:
If an air filter has the standard 2 filter system and a good powered fan, then the difference between a "high end" filter and a less expensive setup is the PRICE.
I'll confess, my air filters DON'T have activated charcoal. They have the 2 filters with an ionizer. I'm very happy with the job they do, but then, I live in the country, so the need for activated charcoal filtration isn't an issue. I vacuum off the primary filter regularly (easy to be reminded since I use them on high power when I'm vacuuming).
Activated charcoal is activated charcoal no matter what the system. You'll do well with any model. It doesn't have to be expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net